Stay healthy this Easter
Local residents are being encouraged to take care of themselves and their families’ wellbeing this Easter by keeping healthy and choosing the right care.
Ahead of the Easter holiday taking place between 3-6 April, Dr Fiona Butler, chair of West London CCG, said:
“Some GP practices and pharmacists will be closed over Easter weekend, and others will have restricted opening hours.
“Because of this we would like to remind you of the various ways you can look after yourself, and of the other local NHS services that will be available to you during this time.
“Read our top tips below for advice on keeping healthy and choosing the right care this Easter.”
Choose the right care
- See a GP at the weekend. There are GP practices available over the weekend as usual. Find out more here.
- Visit your pharmacist. Self-care can be the best option if you have a common complaint such as a cold so see your local pharmacist for free confidential advice and over the counter medicines. For details of the pharmacies open in Kensington & Chelsea click here.
- Call NHS 111. Trained staff on this free helpline can provide over the phone advice and direct you to the most appropriate NHS service in your area. This is not to be used for a 999 emergency.
- Get 24/7 urgent care. Urgent care centres offer treatment for minor illnesses and injuries and patients can be seen without an appointment.
- In a life-threatening emergency visit A&E. Accident and emergency departments and 999 are for emergency care and should only be used for serious illness and critical life threatening conditions. In West London the A&Es is located at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and St Mary’s Hospital.
For more information about choosing the right care and the range of NHS services available in your borough and in North West London visit www.rightcarenwlondon.nhs.uk.
- Check your prescription. Make sure your prescription will last over the holidays.
- Take care of your mental wellbeing. If you’re feeling stressed, anxious or depressed there is help available to you in your area. Make an appointment with your GP or visit the Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust website for more information.
- If you’re able to, you might find exercise, such as an afternoon walk, can help you stay well. Walking is a great form of exercise and you can do it alone or with others.
- Keep warm. Winter has only just finished but people that are vulnerable, such as older people, may feel the cold more. By wearing several thin layers inside and outside the home over the colder months can help prevent colds, flu or more serious health conditions.
- Eat healthily. It’s tempting to eat lots of chocolate over Easter, but limit sugary snacks and make sure you have a healthy diet which includes five portions of fruit and/or vegetables a day, and plenty of fluids.
The following are walk-in centres and urgent care centres in and nearby to West London:
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Urgent Care Centre
369 Fulham Road
Opening times: 24/7
Telephone: 020 3315 8080
Charing Cross Hospital Urgent Care Centre
Fulham Palace Road
Phone: 020 3311 1234
Opening times: 24/7
Telephone: 0333 999 2577
CCG Press Office
T: 020 3350 4366