Pregnancy and maternity services
The NHS in North West London is dedicated to ensuring that women have access to the highest possible quality of care throughout their pregnancy and birth.
Our staff and resources are concentrated into six maternity units which mean more midwives and senior consultants are available to provide care for women.
In North West London there are six hospitals where you can give birth:
- Chelsea and Westminster
- Northwick Park
- Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea
- St Mary’s
- West Middlesex
Choice of care
You can choose to give birth at home, where you will be supported by our home birth team.
Antenatal care is carried out in our hospitals, in children’s centres and in health centres close to where you live. Most women can choose where they receive antenatal care, although some women with particular medical needs may be advised to attend hospital for appointments.
How to book
You can be referred to any of our maternity units by your GP, or you can complete a referral form on the individual hospital websites, which are listed above.
Whichever hospital you choose for your care, all maternity units in North West London include the following services:
- Birth centre
- Birth rooms
- Birthing pools
- Midwife-led care Consultant cover
- Home birth option
- Antenatal ward
- Antenatal care in the community Neonatal care
- Postnatal ward
- Postnatal care in the community Postnatal care at home
- Private room hire
- Option for partner to stay overnight
- Midwife-led care for the majority of our women with access to a highly experienced team of midwives 24- hours- a-day, seven-days-a-week.
- Increased consultant cover for women who require more complex care and support.
- Experts from different areas of healthcare and other health professions as required.
- Support for women who choose to have their babies at home.
Take a look at our video below to find out what health visitors do:
- Birthing centres which include rooms with birthing pools.
- Labour wards with specialist maternity theatres.
- Recovery areas for women who have given birth in theatre.
- Special Care Baby Units and intensive care units for babies requiring continuous medical and nursing care due to prematurity or complex needs.
- You can view the booklet for Parents and Carers of Children aged Birth - 1 year here.
- You can view an easy read version of the Giving Birth in North West London booklet here.
- You can view the Giving Birth in North West London booklet in Tamil here.
- You can view the Giving Birth in North West London booklet in Punjabi here.
- View a map of the varying maternity units and their locations here.
- Click here for information on bus routes to maternity units around Ealing.
- Maternity Care for Ealing Residents Community Poster